How to build a Scandid like barcode scanning based mobile shopping app for India
Want to build Scandid like barcode scanner based shopping app? With Scandid Mobile Shopping SDK you can do it in less than two hours! Here's how:
- You sign up with us (send email to developer [at] scandid [dot] in and get the API key for Scandid Mobile Shopping API). We will also let you know the API usage cost on email.
- Choose either zbar or RedLaser scanning library.
- Create an Android project that integrates Scandid API with scanning library to create the app as per your requirements!
- Quick side note - we are developing and improving the API every day, so please get in touch if you see any issues or if you want functionality that is currently not supported.
Follow the detailed steps below to get started.
This zip file contains code samples, API jar file and other resources that are needed for you to build the app.
2. Customize barcode scanner SDK to work with Scandid API
Scandid Mobile API works with two most popular barcode scanning libraries: zbar and RedLaser. You choose which scanning library works best for you based on the licensing fee, terms etc. Once you decide which one to use, follow instructions below for integrating with Scandid Mobile Shopping SDK.
(i) Integrating with ZBAR
Creating ZBAR library project:
- Download Zbar sdk from following path
- Extract zip and Copy CameraTest sample project that comes with sdk in your workspace
- Copy files CameraPreview.java, CameraTestActivity.java, ZBarConstants.java available in zbar folder inside source inside package net.sourceforge.zbar.android.CameraTest (Replace CameraPreview.java and CameraTestActivity.java)
- Replace original manifest file with one which is available in zbar folder
- Copy uicamera.xml available in zbar folder to layout folder of CameraTest project
- Copy marker.xml available in zbar folder to drawable folder of CameraTest project
- Now right click on CameraTest project select properties goto android tab and scroll down and check Is Library check box so that this project becomes library project
- Now copy APIDemo project prsent in samples folder
- Right click on project, goto properties, goto android tab, and add CameraTest project as library project
- Refer project for rest
(ii) Integrating RedLaser:
Using Redlaser with Scandid sdk:
- Refer RLSample project give in samples folder
3. Scandid API Integration
- You need to request licence key first by sending mail request on developer [at] scandid [dot] in
- You need to copy ScandidWrapperOut.jar in libs folder.
- Refer to APIDemo given in samples folder for further details.
Please refer to projects under samples folder. You will need to replace the API_KEY in CConstants.java by the one which you get from us in email.
Download the Scandid sdk HERE.
For all questions, suggestions and feature requests please contact us at developer [at] scandid [dot] in